Tuesday Letters-No One in Particular

Dear ______________,

I'm a bit peeved. The topic of discussion is cancer. More specifically, cancer treatment. There have been numerous occasions when you (no one in particular) have approached me to discuss my battle with the demon. You then proceed to tell me that the way my family/doctors/ and myself chose to handle my treatment was completely "unnecessary". Well, your opinion is, likewise, unnecessary.

Here's the deal. Every type of cancer is different. Even cancers that are the same, are VERY different. Let me elaborate. During my treatment I was introduced to a guy named Andre. Andre and I had the same cancer, Ewing's Sarcoma. In the same location (rib cage). At the same time (16 years of age)--only 5 or 6 months apart at most. Our treatments, reactions, and overall outcomes could not have been any more opposite. Case in point.

Some cancer's are mild, others are...well, deadly. Doesn't matter. IT'S STILL CANCER. And it still sucks. Treatments can vary, just like the disease itself. In my case, the best plan of action was chemotherapy. And it saved my life. End of story.

So, when you (no one in particular) feel the need to tell me that my parents made a "bad judgement call", or that if I had been "more healthy" it never would have happened, OR that I should have just crushed up a bunch or herbs, rubbed some oils on my skin, and soaked my feet in a special solvent to be "healed"... I kind of want to punch you in the face. 

My parents made the best decision that they could. Were they happy about it? No. Were there times when they questioned the choice they made? Of course. Anyone who has witnessed the effects of chemo firsthand would. Are they grateful for following through? Absolutely. Had they not, I would not be writing this letter today. 

I was a very athletic 16 year old girl. My cancer was not caused by bad nutrition, an unhealthy lifestyle, or genetics. Had it not been for HOW HEALTHY my body was when I was diagnosed, I probably would have not had a successful outcome.

While I do believe that holistic healing does have its place and time...my situation was definitely NOT one of them.

Chemotherapy is horrible. I know, I had the worst of the worst. Take a minute to look up doxorubicin, ifosfamide, etoposide, vincristine, and cyclophosphamide, It is literally poison coursing through your body, attacking EVERYTHING in it's path. Doctor's literally have to take a patient to the brink of death by chemo, to bring them back to life. And unfortunately, there isn't always a positive outcome. The side effects are like those from a bad horror film. And the long-term effects are daunting. 

In short, please don't come to me with your "wealth of knowledge" on the subject. I'm not interested. It is degrading and insulting. The battle I fought was terrible. Something I would not wish on anyone, ever. But, I am alive today thanks to the amazing doctors who took care of me. Don't get me wrong, I do hope that someday we will find a SOUND alternative to chemotherapy treatment for cancer patients. Until that day comes, please keep your opinions of my expereince to yourself.

Hawaii with some of the bravest people I will ever know.

With great thanks,
Mo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts