Moments of Impact

For our first date, Husbandfriend took me to an Eagle Scout ceremony for a mutual friend, followed by a nice evening at the fall carnival, followed by a late showing of the movie "The Vow". It was a night to remember. :)

If you have not seen "The Vow", you should definitely go out and find it. It's a total chick flick but I think a lot of couples could enjoy it together. I won't give away anything about the plot but I do want to mention the sort of overarching theme throughout the movie, because it has been weighing heavy on my mind for...I don't know...2 years!

The lead chracter, Leo, refers to "Moments of Impact" numerous times. He describes them as...

"The moment of impact. The moment of impact proves potential for change. Has ripples effects far beyond what we can predict. Sending some particles crashing together. Making them closer than before. While sending others spinning off into great ventures. Landing them where you'd never think you'd find them. That's the thing about moments like these. You can't, no matter how hard you try, control how it's gonna affect you. You just gotta let the colliding part goes where they may. And wait. For the next collision."

This concept has stuck with me since that night. I think I would consider that first date to be a Moment of Impact in my life. Of course there are many that a person can think of off the top of the head. Weddings, death of a loved one, Graduations, etc. But what I want to touch on are the small moments that actually impact us in ways we never would have imagined.

For the first 18 years of my life I think my time was split equally between 3 locations. My home, Dance Express, and the Globe Stake Center (church building for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). Most of my childhood memories that aren't directly link to my home and immediate family, involve the church building and member of our congregation. Which...now that I think about it, constitutes as "home" and "family" also. 

I grew up a member of the church. I spent countless hours chasing Degen around the gymnasium, hiding behind the curtains on the stage, and shooting some basketballs around.

Throughout my entire upbringing--I did not date a church member. Weird, I know. Why? Can't tell ya...just never happened. This fact was bothersome at times. I felt as though I would never be able to share my past with the man of my future if he couldn't experience it first hand. Furthermore, I worried that my future children would not be raised with these same experiences. It was a heavy burden to carry for many years. 

Last night our Young Men's youth group hosted a Spaghetti Dinner to raise money for their upcoming summer camp. Husbandfriend is part of the Young Men's council now, so we were in attendance. After the dinner was over we stayed to help clean up. This involved taking down tables and chairs, and sweeping the massive gym. Afterwards, just like in all my years growing up, the kids started to run around, hide, and shoot some hoops.

I was tired and ready to go home. I was sitting on the stage, waiting--impatiently-- for husbandfriend to finish up. I look up from my phone just in time to catch this:

Moment of Impact.
This seems silly, I know. But for me, this is one of the biggest Moments of Impact in my life to date. This is the gym that I grew up in, embedded in the Gospel that I love. And that man is my husband. I felt more at home in this 30 second moment than I ever have before. 

I am grateful that my Heavenly Father brought this man into my life. I am thankful that Husbandfriend brought me back home, even though I despised the thought of it. We are were we are supposed to be. Our Father knows the desires of our heart and if we can be faithful and courageous, he will direct our path. 







Comments

Popular Posts