Tuesday Letters--Educators

When I was in Kindergarten I remember free-time. I remember the playground. I remember Mrs.Forester  always having a fun craft or activity. Thank you Mrs. Forester, for finally MAKING me count to 100! (I would always stop at 99...)

In first grade my teacher saved me from the greatest humiliation I ever thought possible at the time. I participated in the school talent show and changed into my costume using her class bathroom. The next day, the "love of my 6 year old life" found my underwear in the floor in the restroom. Thanks for keeping it our little secret, Mrs. Belvado!

It's incredible to me that my second grade teacher is STILL teaching! What an awesome woman. I'm so glad that I was able to be your student AND your colleague. You are such an inspiration Mrs. Woodburn.

Mr. Hicks, had it not been for you I highly doubt I would be as literate in math as I am. You instilled a sense of urgency when it comes to solving an equation that I will never forget. Multiplication baseball will always be a favorite past time. Thank you.

I have never been to Michigan, which is surprising being that it's been a dream of mine since 4th grade--to see where Mrs. Tift grew up. I have so many wonderful memories from your class. It's why I decided take an opening in this position my first year teaching! And wouldn't you guess that in my first classroom, were old workbooks and activities that used to belong to you! How neat that was for me! Thank you for teaching me that just because my friends are finishing a test does NOT mean I need to. I will always remember to take my time and not worry about the pace of others.

Never will I EVER forget my 5th grade experience. Not only did we do some of the coolest projects ever ( i.e. Iditarod, NASA, School Improvement Plan ) but you allowed us to be kids. Looking back at that 5th grade class the only conclusion that I can come to as to how any person could survive such a wild group  is this...Mrs. Nye has superpowers. She is like a teaching Ninja! Thank you for being so incredibly...Awesome.

Mrs. Boyd (Termain when I was a kid), all I can say is...CHICKEN MUMMY. I recently told Husbandfriend about the Ancient Egypt project we did in 6th grade. I informed him that, beneath the tree on the side of East Globe School in a beautifully decorated shoe box, is a mummified chicken. How cool is that? Thank you for putting aside all moral concerns about mummifying a piece of meat and allowing us to totally indulge in the "practices" of the ancient Egyptians. For this alone, you deserve a gold star!

Junio high is a blur but there are a few who stand out.

Mrs. Cooney-Gotto, you inspire my teaching practices daily. I love bumping into you around town and sharing stories and ideas. Words can't describe the impact you've had in my life.

Mr. Scrogham, thanks for breaking up my first fight. But more than that, thank you for sending me to detention afterwards even though you knew I didn't start it. I needed the reality check.

Mrs. Goff, I never thought diagraming sentences would EVER be needed in my life. Until, I taught 5tn grade ELD and used it EVERY DAY. Thanks for the strategy that I hated and grew to love.

High school-

No bigger thanks can be given to the man who not only taught me, but befriended me when all mine had disappeared. Mr. Johnston, señor, thank you. Thank you for taking on the added responsibility of homeschooling a cancer-struck girl. She looked forward to your visits, even if it didn't seem like it. You were the connection to the real world that she was missing. You will always hold a near and dear spot in my heart.

And to complete my list.

Aunt Gerine, I don't think I've ever told you directly how important you are to me. You are the teacher I strive to be everyday. I am amazed by your talents and your passion. Had it not been for you and the time I spent as your teacher's assistant in high school I don't think I would have chosen this path. You were and continue to be the perfect role model in my life. I can only hope that I will be able to fill the footprints you've left behind for me. Working with you this year has been such a wonderful experience that only you and I can share! How neat is that?! Thank you for ALL you have done and continue to do for me.

With Love (from a very grateful student),
Me

Comments

Popular Posts