Simple Reminders

At about 10:30 last night a sweet friend sent me this message:
"Is john daniel working?"
Me:
"No he's home now. What's up?"
Friend:
"There are a ton of sirens...I check fb and it says explosion at the mine. Making sure he wasn't there."

We live in an area that is known as the Copper Triangle.  Copper Mining is a massive industry in our speck of the world and is what puts the food on most tables in this sleepy little town. If someone living under your roof doesn't work in a mine I can guarantee that you know 10 others who do to make up for it. Mining is a way of life around here.

When I read that message my heart dropped. One of the local mines has been on shut down for a few weeks now meaning, production is postponed while machinery is fixed, maintained, etc. For my family this means my uncle works insane hours around the clock. Normally he is home most nights but on shutdown there is absolutely no telling. I immediately sent a text to my aunt. Luckily, he was home and he did confirm the event.

On Facebook it seemed the whole community had the same feelings: Is my husband/brother/son/nephew/mom/friend/etc. safe? We all waited impatiently, refreshing the newsfeed frantically, hoping for positive updates.

As of this morning it was confirmed that there were not any injuries. A close friend of mine who was there at the time posted about the sense of brotherhood that encompassed the event. All who were present did everything in their power to make sure each and every person would make it home to their families in the morning.

Mining is dangerous and, in my opinion, extremely overlooked. Where would we be without it? The men and woman of my local community work in terribly compromising conditions in order to gives us all a better way of life.

Although this was a scary event that took place, it could have easily been much worse. I am so thankful that it wasn't. I am thankful that everyone involved is safe. I am thankful that each and every morning my husband makes sure to kiss me and tell me he loves me before he walks out the door.

I think it is safe to say that many in my town held their loved ones a little longer this morning, Sometimes it takes reminders like this to open our somewhat dreary eyes to the realities of life. Tomorrow is not promised. Make today count.

With a thankful heart,
Mo


Comments

Popular Posts