Teacher Thoughts Thursday: "Hey mom!"

Sometime this week (I can't remember which days as they are all a blur) one of my students called me mom. 

No biggie. Happens more than you would think. It is pretty cute. It is a compliment in a way because they obviously see me as a nurturing type of person that they are comfortable around. It is also super fun to watch they turn bright red in embarrassment. Little cuties. However, the statement that came from another student is what really melted my heart this time around.

It went like this:

Student 1:
"Hey mom can...I mean...Mrs. Flores!"

(laughter in the room )

Student 2:
"I wish Mrs. Flores was my mom. I bet she would be the best mom ever."

(My heart literally melts)

Being a teacher is kind of a double-edged sword for a woman who has not yet reached the pivitol "parenthood" yet. On one end, it's obvious that I am crazy about kids. I willingly choose to spend days upon days upon months upon years holed up in a room with 30+ of them. Call me crazy but I love it. On the OTHER end though...I see the challenges kids face daily. I see the frustration parents face. I wonder what I will be like as a parent. What would I do if my child did __________. What if I do something that totally screws them up? It happens. And it is terrifying to think about it for me. 

This moment of honesty from a  middle school boy made me realize that I will probably do alright. And until that time comes, I get to enjoy all 130+ kids of mine and that's ok for now.

Back to grading an endless mountain of papers....

<3. 
Mrs. F

Comments

Popular Posts