Teacher Thoughts Thursday: When you know you're making a difference

Being a teacher can be frustrating. You stand up there and talk and teach and reteach and talk some more...and you feel like NOTHING IS SINKING IN! 

Then, there are days when the most impromptu lesson is the one that makes a BIG impact. My students this year are a bit of a rowdy bunch. Blame it on the full moon (which every teacher knows is a direct correlation to student behavior) but yesterday was OUT OF CONTROL madness. The kids were so wound up and I felt like all hope was lost. My room was a disaster, I honestly can't say a whole lot of learning happened at all. It was...a day. 

So this morning, at the ring of the bell I put together a little power point presentation titled, "Life Lessons" by Mrs.F. It was short. Only 7 slides titled:

1. We are not robots.
2. For every action there is a consequence.
3. Be Trustworthy.
4. Be Respectful.
5. Tomorrow is not promised.
6. You don't know everyone's story.
7. Mrs. F.'s class is not a garbage can.

I elaborated on each of the slides and we discussed the importance of each one. Some students listened...others pretended to. Overall though, it was a great discussion. It's greatness amplified when I found a letter on my desk at the end of class. This is what it reads (mistakes included for overall awesomeness):

"Dear, Mrs. flores
 That lesson you did to day really hite me Because 7th grade is hard. people think they live in my shose and try to juge me by who I am and I did Not know what to do in till now. you are the Best teacher that I have ever had since 4th grade. wish I would have you in High school Because you ar so cool. But that lesson really hite me I am so so happy you are here to day...you are the best...."

The student who wrote this is my Teacher's Assistant. She sits at a desk in the back of the class and staples, grades etc. She was also a student of mine back when I taught 4th grade, she is now in 7th. It is awesome to see her grow. Her letter contained more that I choose not to share as it is personal. I hope she really does realize that she is unique and wonderful. I hope that she will stand tall and not let other's control her feelings or actions, like a robot. But to know that she heard what I was saying...well, it has made my day worth it.

What life lessons would you share?

<3, Mrs. F.


Comments

Popular Posts