Tuesday Letters (on Wednesday): NickyD

NickyD,

I remember very clearly waiting impatiently outside of a hospital room for your arrival. I remember finally being able to go in and meet you for the first time. You were so little...and yellow! Just the cutest little thing ever. When you got to come home I remember singing "Glow Little Glow Worm" to you while you slept comfortably under your "billy light".

Sometimes I try to imagine what it must have been like to be in your little shoes when I was fighting cancer. You were so young and I was so sick. You never seemed scared though. You like snuggling with me on the couch and rubbing my bald head. You even buzzed all of yours off so I wouldn't feel so alone. For being as young as you were you stood by my side. Even now, I know every year on the morning of the Relay for Life, when we have done absolutely nothing to prepare, you will be ready to go and we will pull it all together in like...3 hours. Thanks. For always being here.

This is your senior year and (as we all know) I am not handling the thought of you leaving very well. Don't get me wrong...I am SO excited for you. And I am immensely proud of you. We all are. You are an incredible young man with so much more headed your way. It's just that, well, I'm gonna miss you dangit! Ok?! I said it. I'm really really going to miss having you around. The good thing is I know you'll always be back and lucky for us-we have this family for FOR-EV-ER (picture that in the Sandlot voice).

I guess that paragraph was a little premature considering you wont be leaving us for, like, another 9 months or something. But still. Just so you know.

I know we all tease you about being the baby and I know that a lot of time you get left out of all our childhood adventure stories. But I have to be honest and say that I kind like the fact that you are so much younger. I like it because I can remember all of these moments with such clarity and I have been able to watch you grow. It's been pretty awesome.

I know you already have a real life sister, but I hope you know you are stuck with me as well.

I love you Nicademus.

Mo

P.S. Yes, I cried while writing this.
P.S.S. The Screamer was NOT going to be that cool.

:)

Comments

Popular Posts