Teacher Thought Thursdays: Feeling the Love

Being a teacher is hard. I can't even begin to explain it and I won't even try because when I do I wind up wanting to punch someone for comments such as: "You get all summer off!", "How hard can it be?" or my favorite, "Those who can't, teach...". Really? Anyways, this is often times a thankless job and it can be downright depressing at times.

This time of year is THE WORST. We officially have 10 days left and it seems like an eternity. Testing is done. Grade have to be posted soon. The kids are ready for summer and the teachers are exhausted. Everyone has had it.

 I have had it.

The bell rang this morning and as I walked down the hall I could feel the tension rising in my chest. My patience was wearing thin and, was it just me or were these kids being EXTRA loud? I made it to my room, wishing I could slip inside alone and lock the rest of them out. Then, I noticed that there was paper taped to the inside of the window on my door. I did not put it there which could only mean one thing: SOMEONE HAS BEEN IN MY ROOM! GRRRRR!

So, I open the door, flick on the lights, and was completely and utterly surprised. And I cried. And I smiled. And my cold and angry heart felt warm and fuzzy. This is what I saw.



Tears.

My first year teaching I was blessed with a sweet spirit half way through the year. She was kind and honest and loving. And she showered me with that love every day, especially on my birthday (which is on Saturday!). When I returned to this district two years later I was blessed to be her teacher again! Only this time, she was a big 6th grader! Once again, on my birthday I was spoiled by this amazing child. Of course I was thrilled to return this school year and learn that she would be my TA for my second hour class.

Next year I will be moving to the elementary school. I haven't really told my students for a few reasons. But, she found out and is not too thrilled about it. And to be truthful, I am sad too. I am sad to leave students like this who appreciate their teachers. I am also very excited for this new adventure I am about to embark on. But today it is bittersweet. With this giant announcement of my departure hanging in my room, all of my kiddos now know. It has been interesting to see their reactions as they walk in the door. Confusion, sadness, and yes, some that I am sure are bursting with joy.

I love my job. Truly. It is the best job in the world. This little girl will always hold a special place in my heart and I will know that no matter what happens in my career, I made a big difference in her life. And that is enough to push me forward.

<3 Mrs. F

Comments

  1. The elementary school! How cool. This is SO sweet. You do a HARD job and I completely admire it for you. I hope my children have a teacher half as awesome as you some day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts