The Refiners Fire

Yesterday Husbandfriend and I had the opportunity to gather with the Young Men and young Women from our congregation and play a "friendly" game of kickball. When we were called to serve with this wonderful bunch of kids I was a little nervous. I mean, it wasn't THAT long ago that I was in this group myself as a Young Woman. We don't have kids of our own. What could we possibly have to contribute here? How are we qualified to hold such an important calling?

Well, as we all know...there is a plan for everything and everyone. And I am certainly learning that this calling is not so much for me to help and inspire these kids (even though I hope I do), but it is for ME. I learn so much from my young women and my the other members of our presidency. This is where I need to be right now.

So back to yesterday...we played an intense "friendly" game of kickball for almost two hours. It was so fun. At some point our sweet elders (4 of them) showed up to throw down as well. It always warms my heart to see the missionaries interact with our kids and have fun. I could go on and on about missionaries, their selflessness and love for the gospel, bravery, and the like. But I'm thinking I will save that for a later post of it's own.

After the game ended, our Young Men's President threw a proverbial curve-ball at one elder and asked him to share a message with the youth. He agreed and once the donuts were passed around he took the floor. He spoke of the challenges and trials we face in life. Immediately, I perked up from my old lady, "I definitely need to do more cardio" slouch. I have a lot going on right now. And some of it isn't so easy to digest. I am feeling discouraged and frustrated with some situations in my life that are 100% out of my control. I want to be strong and have faith and courage but I have been in a state of self-pity and sadness over this particular trial.

The elder continued to compare our trials with that of a piece of silver. A silversmith is given a piece of silver that has a lot of impurities and looks nothing like what we see in jewelry stores. In order to create these beautiful objects we see he has to heat this piece of silver in a fire until it is very hot. Some impurities have to be hammered away and then the piece is set into the fire again. Repetition of this process continues until the silversmith can see his own reflection in the surface of the object he is working on. At that point, he knows he is finished.

Heavenly Father is our Silversmith and we are those molten pieces that need to be refined. He will continue to work with us until we reflect him wholly. Our trials and challenges are the times when the hammer is being hit and the flames are engulfing us, in order to bring us closer to him.

I am thankful for such a loving God who sees me in all of my imperfections and continues to work on me and bring me to my fullest potential. I believe that this trial is preparatory for what is to come. I know that this missionary and those who serve with him are called of God to reach the hearts of people just like me. I am grateful for a calling in my church that allows me to learn so much.

It is my prayer today that if you are facing a struggle in life right now, you may know that it is out of love, and though it may not seem so at the moment, all will be well in the end.

With Love,
Mo

Comments

Popular Posts