Party Animal

For a few months now I have been "not to subtly" reminding my family that the big 10 YEAR cancer free anniversary was coming up. I even chose the date to have my own surprise party! I told you, not so subtle. But here's the thing, I'm pretty freaking excited about this milestone. I mean, it's a BIG FREAKING DEAL! You only become 10 years cancer free once ( God willing), am I right? Of course I am.

10 years ago, celebrating being officially Cancer Free!
About a month ago I started noticing odd behaviors in my house...grandma and husband exchanging weird head nods, grandma texting my bff in North Carolina, top secret phone calls...mmhmm. Very suspicious. It was clear to me that EVERYONE was up to no good (but I was super excited about it!). Then, my eyes stumbled across the Holy Grail of secrets...the invitations. Now let me be clear, these were SITTING ON THE COUNTER out in the open. I did not go searching for them. There. Just had to get that off my chest. Regardless, my heart jumped for joy at the thought my having a party! Just, YAY!

I didn't know the details though. I knew the date (remember I chose it) and was kinda sure that I knew where it was going to be. But other than that I was in the dark. Although I pretended to be nosy, I'm really not. I don't like knowing secrets. I was never the kid that peeked at presents or snooped in my parent's room around Christmastime. Although, there was that one time in middle school when my cousin and I traded one Christmas present secret to the other...and truthfully, I felt terrible about it later.

So Saturday gets here and of course I know that it's the BIG day. My grandmas fridge is jam-packed with bite-sized appetizers and deserts. My husbandfriend is taking a "half-day" at work so we can "hang out". Yeah. Something is about to happen! I was told to be "ready" by 2 o'clock for our dinner and movie date. I followed orders and headed to the shop.

It was clear that Johny was completely distracted and perhaps a little stressed? It's hard to tell with him sometimes. Anyways he finished up his last client, a man who drove all the way from Young (hour and a half long drive on a pretty bad road) for a haircut. Odd? Maybe. But word is spreading that JohnyD is the man to go to for a cut so maybe not so weird? IDK. We closed up shop and headed to a local restaurant for some lunch.

My BFF <3. 
My mother in law decided to join us also. So we are sitting there eating our complimentary chips when I look up and see my mom and step-dad walk in the door! I see what's happening here. So we move to a bigger table. They explain that they just decided to "come up to visit"...yeah..uh huh. I look up from my salsa bowl and there she is...the BFF from North Carolina! I'm pretty sure I screamed as a I made my way out of the booth and nearly knocked the waitress over while embracing Mandi in the biggest bear hug ever. There is a chance I teared up a little also.

So, cats out of the bag. Some major partying (mormon style) is about to go down. We ate and talked. I'm fully expecting to head to the party destination when we finish, but no. Husband informs me that we are going to the church for the baptism of a friend. We went and it was super awesome. But I was a bit confused. When the heck is it going to be PARTY TIME?!

From the baptism we headed in the direction leading to where I THOUGHT the party would be. But of course, my husband had a few tricks up his sleeve. He pulled into a Dollar Tree, gave me some head phones and told me to listen to Pandora, and then went inside. When he came out of the store he had a blindfold.

Folks, I had butterflies. That doesn't happen with me. I don't really get nervous. It takes a lot to get me super excited. I was FREAKING OUT. My husband knows me really well, and he knows that I have spidey-senses when it comes to directions and navigation. So as he pulls out of the Dollar Tree parking lot I knew where we were headed. Until...he pulls of randomly and starts pulling donuts in some big open lot! He did this multiple times people. And let me tell you, when you can't hear OR see...this kind of thing is taken to a whole new level.

Eventually we come to a stop, although my head was still spinning in circles. He comes to my door and begins to guide me (still without hearing or vision) in a zig zag line to a door. My legs are wobbly from our roller coaster ride and I have no idea where I am. I walked through a door way and he yanks off the blindfold while I am simultaneous being shot at with confetti! Yippee!!!!

Party Time!

End of the Night Photo-Op with the Husbandfriend!
So many people came. So many people I hadn't seen in so long. And some I see every day but that made them no less special. The banquet hall was decorated with my favorite and had banners here and there that said things like "10 years" and "Cancer. Been There. Beat That." A slideshow was playing on a big screen TV that showed pictures of a bald headed girl, only 16 at the time, a 21 year old graduating from college, a 22 year old getting married to her best friend, a 26 year old loving life.
In the corner was a familiar face...a man with a fresh new haircut who drove 1 1/2 hours from Young to give this party some music!

Friends from high school, doctors, church family, and my own extended family came in out all night long. I hope that I did them all justice in stepping off the dance floor now and then to hug and reminisce. The common theme among each conversation was, "Has it really been 10 years?". It's hard to believe because it really doesn't seem like it's been that long. But I think that goes to show that time really does fly when you are having fun!

The party, while not a complete surprise, was a surprise in SO many ways. I definitely didn't think Mandi would be there ( I couldn't expect here to fly all the way across the country for one night). But she was there, thanks to my grandma. I did not expect it to be a dance party, although I should have known better. I did not think that so many people would make the honest effort to be there, but so many did. A lot people came that I did not think would, and many people did not come that I was certain wouldn't miss it. Funny how life works that way.

An awesome banner my cousin made!
We dance for hours. We laughed. My husband dedicated the song "I like big butts" to my mom and the two of them twerked for a room full of people. It was a night I will never forget. The bartender even made the comment that she had "never seen a a group of people have so much fun and not a single drink was ordered". What can I say? My family knows how to have a good time.

I know there were so many people that made this night possible. Primarily my grandma and my husband. I'm so thankful to have such an awesome support group, 10 years ago, and now.

At one point in the evening the thought crossed my mind that this party shouldn't really have been for me. I didn't really do much.. Cancer chose me, and I just did what the doctors made me do (with some resistance now and then). But my family and friends, gosh, they are the real warriors. They were the ones that worried constantly while I slept soundly in my morphine slumber. They prayed. They rallied. They rubbed my feet. They sat in silence for hours on end, just so I knew they had been there. It made my heart so happy to see them having just as much fun as I was because truly, they deserve it.

As the night drew to a close I couldn't help but wish that it would keep going. Ending meant that the music would stop, people would go home, and the party would be over. I danced the last slow song with my Johny and found myself lost in his eyes. I thought back to 10 years ago and how I didn't even know him. I knew in that moment that everything in life happens for a reason. It became abundantly clear to me that I survived because I had to meet him. He was written into my plan long before I even knew him. I was saved just for him.

He is being silly, but I love how comfortable I am in his arms. <3
As we all said our good-byes I was floating on Cloud Nine...with very sore feet! My family completely out did themselves. It was more than I could have imagine and something I will remember always. There are not enough words that I could string together that would suffice all I need to say to my grandma and my husband. They are my rocks. And I am so lucky to have them both.

And guess what! Though the party may be over, the REAL Moquie Day hasn't even happened yet. This Friday, February 12 is the official date of my 10 years since I left PCH as a survivor. So, if you missed the party, or want to party on...make sure to have yourself a little bit of fun this Friday!


Moral of this story folks, life is so short. Really. And we really don't know what is going to happen. So as cliche as this ma sound, make the best of every moment. Live every day like it's your last. Love strong. And never pass up an opportunity to twerk with your mother-in-law.

<3 Mo



Comments

Popular Posts