Today is my Birthday!

Today was a beautiful day.

It was my birthday. 27 years old. Where does time go?  It seems like just yesterday I was turning 10 and my cousin broke his arm and everyone brought him presents and the only person who remembered my birthday was my cousin. (Thanks Kier). Ok, that is probably an exaggeration but I do remember him getting lots of presents and attention, due to the fact that his arm up upside down and ugly...Anyway...

My birthdays have been pretty notorious for not being...ideal. I mean, I was diagnosed with cancer on my 16th birthday, so...yeah. Typically I don't look forward to birthdays. But last night I almost forced myself to sleep just so today would get here sooner. Because you know what friends, this year has been pretty crappy. To be frank, it has sucked. Big time.

Last week was the icing on the cake to a pretty unbearable year. I hit the bottom of the barrel and knew there was no place to go but up. And it seemed to me that my birthday would be a good place to start.

So I woke up this morning ready. I jumped up at my alarm, got dressed, and hit the gym. I killed my arms and enjoyed the morning with a good friend. I took a nice shower while the husby cooked me breakfast (protein pancakes and bacon!). I got ready for work and stopped by the store to buy my students a special treat! Work went by without a hitch and before I knew it, I was meeting up with Johny to celebrate!

We headed off to the lake, doggies in tow. The weather was beautiful. We spent a couple hours lounging in the water (thank you Arizona) and watching our pups play. There wasn't another soul in sight expect for us and it was so peaceful. We laughed and played. I thought a lot about this day and what lies ahead of me between now and this time next year. So much hope and promise. It was a beautiful afternoon.

After meandering down a dirt road, getting stuck, and getting unstuck, we headed to dinner at a little place called Boston's. Yum. Dinner's company was wonderful and made for entertaining conversation. We made the 20 minute drive home with the windows rolled down and the music turned way up loud. I sang, we held hands, and I felt so overwhelmingly happy.

We were locked out of the house when we returned home so, we curled up on the trampoline until my grandma got home. The same trampoline that shattered my 10 year old birthday dreams so many years ago.  I giggled at the recollection and confided in Johny that his has indeed, been my best birthday ever.

Hello, 27. I hope you're ready for me!

Comments

Popular Posts