The Bob Ross/Life Analogy Post

Life can be messy. I'm not talking about the pile of dirty clothes waiting to be washed, or the tornado (also known as your toddler grandchildren) that wiped out your living room over the weekend messy. I'm talking about LIFE, this grand journey we are all traveling. It's is a messy thing.

Last week I found myself navigating through every possible emotion there is: excitement, fear, jealousy, heartbreak, hope, anger, sadness, love, comfort...literally every.single.one. I thought I was going to have a complete mental break down (my husband might say that I did...). But dang, I was a mess. Because that's life.

So what do we do when the lines get all tangled and the colors start running together and the picture we think we are painting starts to look like something completely different? Well, I guess that depends. Something I have come to learn is that I am the one holding the paintbrush of my life. And that is pretty empowering.

In case you didn't know, Bob Ross is on Netflix. You're Welcome. Needless to say, I have spent some time watching me some Bob Ross. The man is a genius. Not only is his artwork stunning and beautiful, his skills are bar-none! Have you seen what he starts with?! Talk about A MESS. Sometimes he starts with a plain white canvas but often there is a smear of color (midnight blue, mossy green, you know what I'm talking about) wiped right across the thing!! Every episode I watch I think, "Where is he going with this...?". And of course, the end result never falls short of breathtaking.

Aside from his artistic abilities, Bob talks to the viewer. Something he says frequently is something along the lines of, "Maybe in your world you want a little _______ right here...". He encourages the painter/viewer to take control of their painting. It doesn't have to be just like his, or anyone else's. I love that! In the end, he has taken a messy canvas and has turned it into something original, and beautiful.

I can't help but compare this to my life. I know we are all sent here to create something magnificent. Our Heavenly Father has given us a canvas, each unique  in their own right. He has given us the tools we need to create our painting. And he has given us the Free Agency to decide what color pallet to use and where to place our "happy little trees".

When life gets "messy" all I have to do is remind myself (or have Husbandfriend remind me) that I am in charge of my canvas. I can decide the direction my painting goes. I'm holding the paintbrush, and with the help of my Heavenly Father, I can't mess up!

Life isn't messy, it's beautiful.

<3 Mo





Comments

Popular Posts