Why I Believe in Santa Claus

A few years ago, on a Christmas Eve night, the Husbandfriend snickered at a statement I made while snuggled in bed. I confessed my belief in a jolly old man dressed in red that circumnavigates around the world in one night, delivering gifts in a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer. I think he thought I might be crazy. And then told me how cute I was.


I am a few years older now. Wiser. More experienced in the ways of the world. It is 20 days until Christmas Eve, the most magical of all nights. And I still, perhaps more than ever, believe in Santa Claus. Am I crazy? Maybe. But gosh, I think I have to be.

Why do I believe in Santa Claus? The answer is simple, really.

What is so UNBELIEVABLE about Santa?

I can think of a lot of things that unbelievable, yet, are true and real as the letters on this keyboard I am tapping away on. The fact that I am here to type this is pretty unbelievable. When I was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma 11 years ago, they gave me a 50/50 chance of survival. Against all odds, and trust me, there were plenty of those, I survived. It was a happy day for my doctor when she said I was officially "cancer free". She said she didn't get to say that very often to patients like me. It was a Miracle. Rare. Unbelievable.

When I was in the hospital I had an experience that is almost impossible to explain. It was the day of my surgery. Big surgery. The chest cavity open, ribs being sawed off kind of surgery. While in recovery, the nurses were having a very hard time waking me up. They went to get my parents. The time that had passed was more than enough for the anesthesia to have worn off but I would not "wake up". After some time I "came to" to my grandma calling my name. And the first thing I said was "I was talking to Juana". Juana was my friend, one of best friends. I met her in the hospital. She had passed away a couple weeks earlier. She told me she was ok. She told me I would be ok. I told her I wanted to stay there with her and she told me I couldn't. That it wasn't my time. I SPOKE to her. I saw her. I felt her. She was there and I was there. I can remember it as if it just occurred. Impossible right? I was "dreaming"? Say what you will. But it happened.


I grew up in a very small town. Everyone knows everyone, or is related to them, etc. So when I moved back here after college I thought my prospects of finding a quality guy were slim to none. I had met 'em all. Or at least knew them, and was NOT interested. So it was pretty unbelievable to me when I met Johny. And we were the same age. And knew all the same people. And both grew up in this little place. And he was PERFECT for me. This may seem small on the "miracle spectrum" but to me, it's the biggest one in my life. I mean, to believe in love itself...how do you explain that?!

And what about all of those stories you hear about near death experiences? I mean there is an entire television series about people who shouldn't be alive! All sorts of amazing, miraculous, unbelievable, and mystifying things happen every. single. day.


During this holiday season many celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His mother, Mary's, conception is unbelievable in every mortal aspect. His works and ministry during his time on Earth are known as miracles. And while there are the Nancy Nay-sayers in this world, I have seen His workings my life, almost every day. I have felt his spirit calm me in my darkest of hours. When I feel alone, His everlasting love envelops me. He is unbelievable, for those who don't have faith. To those who don't believe in miracles.

I do believe in miracles. I believe in the unbelievable; the things that can't be defined by science or physics, or medicine. I believe that a husband and a wife who so desperately want a child of their own, will have one. Someday. I believe that, against all odds, there will be a Baby Flores.

And if I can believe that, then believing in Santa is really quite easy.

<3, Mo

Comments

Popular Posts