Mushy Gushy Valentine

One of my students made this comment about Valentine's Day...

"It's a day of LOVE! (picture her arms open wide)...which is kind of gross...(picture her head drooping downward)."

Contrary to pop-culture these days, I sort of love Valentine's Day. I hear people say:
1. It's just another day!
2. Hallmark made it!
3. You should show your love year round!
4. etc. etc. etc.

They are right. It's all true. But I can't help but feel a bit like my enthusiastically grossed out 1st grader...today is a day of LOVE!!! And yeah, love is kind of gross sometimes.

So I'm going to indulge in this day. My husband hates when I write specifically about him. But he is going to have to deal with it this time. Because right now I'm going to get all mushy-gushy, lovey-dovey. And I don't even feel bad about it! Because, well, LOVE!!!

10 Random Things I LOVE About My Husband (in no particular order):
1. His crooked smile. You guys, it is simply the cutest thing I have ever seen in my whole life.
2. His unethical culinary genius. He scares me ya'll. I'll be honest. He truly does. I get a little anxiety when his creativity spikes. 9 times out of 10 his creations would be Iron Chef approved. But I did wind up extremely ill once..And I had to draw the line at a package of Tofu to mix with our Thanksgiving Turkey. But all in all, he slays in the Kitchen!
3. His tattoo. It is a dragon...so he tells me. It's been 5 years and I still don't "see it". But I LOVE the "dragon"! I have these super strong feelings about his tattoo for a number of reasons. First, I have always wanted one myself but will never get one. So you know, #livingvicariously. Second, it gives him that "bad boy" quality that every little Mormon girl dreams of. Am I right? No? Just me? That's fine. Also, tracing it with my finger is like...top 5 favorite hobbies. So many twists and twirls! I love it! My version of a grown-up coloring book.
4. His routine. It KILLS me friends. But I love it just the same. Johny runs on "Johny Time". It cuts me to my core. For real. But I love him for it. And somewhere lost in the translation between Real-World Time and Johny-Time is a very strict routine. He works like clock work (his own clock of course...which has like 45 extra minutes in an hour plus a third and fourth hand maybe?). It's taken me some time (regular person time) to figure out how he goes about his daily life, but there really is a method to his madness.
5. His way of loving me. Sometimes it makes me want to punch him. Like when he hugs my face and pushes his head really hard into my cheek...that is a sign of love...it also makes me want to punch him in his face. But then again, it's pretty cute. Also, when he scrapes his toenail up my ankle when we are laying in bed or relaxing on the couch...that is his way of saying "I'm catching up on text-messages/appointments, but I know you are right here and I love you". It's gross and slightly creepy. But I love it.
6. His smokin' hot bod. This needs no further explanation.
7. His determination and optimism. All silliness aside, my husband is hands down the most optimistic, forward thinking, no-holds bar kind of person I have ever met. It intimidates me sometimes. Yes, even still because I am generally not this kind of person. Or at least I wasn't before I met Johny. His attitude towards life and all that comes with it inspires me each and every day.
8. His taste in everything. Its random. Sometimes trendy. Sometimes old-school. Classic, then punk. Rasta mixed with big-screen musical. Down home country with a Big City vibe. He changes all of the time. So does his wardrobe. It keeps me on my toes and makes each day a guessing game!
9. His slight case of Peter Pan syndrome. Like having to use a ridiculous amount of lighter fluid on a fire that is already adequately burning because "it's fun". Or when he "races" the flush. (A game one plays when you flush...whilst still peeing, to see if you can be done before the flush is done? I'm still not sure of the logistics here...). Basically the fact is that when he comes to my first grade classroom as a "volunteer" I am not gaining an extra set of adult eyes/helping hands, but another 7 year old...
10. His "stick-with-it-ness". This man doesn't know the word "quit". It doesn't matter what he is doing. He will stick to it. Work hard. Persevere. See it through. I love this most because he has stuck with me. Right by my side. When the going gets tough (and it surely has), he doesn't even blink. When others would run for the hills without a glance back he turns to me, reaches out a hand, and pulls me from the rubble. He is in this with me now, and forever.

Today is a day full of LOVE. Sprinkled with Hallmark. And these are things I should say all of the time. But I am not perfect. And love is a little gross sometimes...like when closing the bathroom door becomes "optional"...?

Happy Valentine's Day to my Johny.

I love you more than words can ever say, but I'll try my hardest to say it more.

<3 Mo.

Comments

Popular Posts