The Human Glitch


Every Monday my family meets around my Grandma's dinner table for a good ol' homemade meal. It is quite possibly my most favorite night of the week. We never know who is going to show up. Sometimes there are 10 of us, some nights maybe 5. Often it's only family, every now and then there is a guest! It's like roulette each week.

We all sit in our unofficially official seats and chow down while we talk about the most random things. The conversation usually starts about the events of everyone's day. Except  no one will ask my aunt or me about our days because they know the tangent that will transpire. So she and I will hold our own conversation from across the table. Sometimes there are like, 7 convos happening at once and it can be pretty awesome.

I have noticed that there is often a reoccurring conversation that transpires every month or so. And it just happens to be one of my favorites. "What's your glitch?". I'm not sure who exactly coined this phrase but we all know what it means.

We all have at least one. One "glitch" that is just not normal for anyone else but you. It is hard to pinpoint your own glitch as first but watch how fast you can point out the glitches of your loved ones. It's that thing they do that most others don't do. The incessant picking of fingernails. The repetitive clearing of the throat. You know. You know exactly what I'm talking about. And it is always so shocking when someone points out your own glitch and you blush and think..."Do I really do that?...yeah...I do...".

We don't do this to be mean to each other. It turns into a super fun conversation and it's actually pretty cool to see how well we know each other. Like I said, in the beginning it is hard to identify YOUR own glitches but pretty soon you are catching on and everyone is up in arms about their own quirkiness. I love it.

Here are some of mine that have been identified:

  1. Time-obsessive. Apparently, not only do I check my watch constantly, I also announce the time at each glance. I blame this one teaching and the ever-ticking clock.
  2. Last Bite- I NEVER eat the last bite. Of anything. Ever. And when I say last bite I literally mean "bite". The tiniest little bite will always be left on my plate. I have no explanation for this.
  3. Food Mixing Anxiety- My dinner plate looks pretty cool every night. It's like those little kid plates that are separated into portions except that it's really an "adult plate". There are no raised edges to separate my food yet there it sits, completely separate from one another. If it happens to mix, we have serious issues. The only exception is mashed potatoes and corn.
  4. Zoning out while people are talking to me- I have no excuse. This is just rude and something I need to work on.
  5. Sound Sensitivity-I am SUPER sensitive to sound.Which apparently is a struggle for Husband because he likes his music really loud and I always turn it down without realizing...hehe.
Some of these I was already aware of, others caught me totally by surprise. I never realized my obsession with time before. We all end up laughing at our glitches and most of all, enjoy spending time together as a family.

So, What are your glitches?

Hasta!
 Mo



Comments

Popular Posts